Cartier LOVE Bracelets are one of Cartier’s most iconic pieces of jewelry. They were first introduced in the 1970s and have become one of today’s most desirable pieces of everyday jewelry for both men and women.
The bracelet is a universal symbol of love and commitment. The LOVE bracelet is a flat bangle studded with screws that locks to the wrist. Opened and fastened with a screwdriver, the piece serves to sanctify inseparable love.
Due to the Cartier LOVE bracelet’s iconic nature and global reach, it is a continuous focus of unauthorized duplication. When figuring out the authentic of a Cartier LOVE bangle, it’s important to note that not all LOVE bangles are made the same, since over the years, there have been changes in the design and style.
We at Brilliance Jewels are very firm when it comes to authenticity. We do not buy or sell counterfeit goods. We guarantee 100% authenticity of all our inventory. Most of our Cartier items contain original certificates and boxes.
Here are a few tips to help you identify the main differences between a real LOVE bangle and a fake:
Closely Read the Hallmarks and Logos
That being said, when Aldo Cipullo first designed the Cartier Love bracelets in the 1970’s, the bracelets did not include these hallmarks nor did they include serial numbers. This made it easy for counterfeiters to go ahead and flood the market with fakes. It is likely that almost 50% of the Love bracelets from the 70’s are fakes.
These replicas only loosely resemble the Cartier stamps. Below is the first example of how to spot a counterfeited Cartier Love bracelet.
Take a look at this example of a white gold 6 diamond love bangle:
Another tip is to take a look at the spelling and font of the Cartier name and other hallmarks. If you catch a misspelling or it’s not in the cursive font, the Love bracelet is definitely a fake.
Here you can see that the engravings on the diamond bangle are in the wrong place.
Each of these knock-offs have a different font from the next – and from the authentic bracelet – for the “750” stamp.
Feel the Weight and Evaluate the Quality
Cartier’s brand was built on using only the highest quality of gold and platinum so one of the biggest hints of a fake is the weight of the bracelet. The bracelet should weigh between 30-38 grams (about five to six US quarters), this of course depends on the exact model you’ve selected. When you compare the genuine Love bracelet to a forgery, the fake will be lighter.
You must also be aware of the color of the metal. Obvious issues are chipping or discoloration.
Look at the Screws
Real Cartier Love bracelets are very precise and the screws perfectly stamped into the metal. The screw stamps on the replicas are not properly aligned, uneven, and not a smooth surface.
On this fake love bangle, the screws slightly overlap into the other side – remember that any sign of the smallest imperfection means you very well might be looking at a fake. Also, the all diamond bangle’s screw axes are too wide. Notice how much thinner they are on the authentic Love bangle below.
Since Cartier is known for their quality, the screws will always be flawless.
When you review the authentic Cartier Love bangle, the edges are crisp and precise. The screws should turn easily with the screwdriver. When you see a fake Cartier Love bracelet, the sides have a curvature that makes it appear more round. The screws are also much more difficult to open.
This was a special edition that Cartier partnered with the founder of Revlon Cosmetics, with the enscription of “Carles Revson”. This was a less expensive model and the bracelets were electroplated and unscrewed only on one side. These vintage pieces are still on the market, but you should be notified and the bracelet be priced properly.
How to Spot a Fake Cartier Love Bracelet – Reminders Before Buying
When buying luxury jewelry, it’s crucial to take every step to verify its authenticity and establish complete trust in the seller. Consider the following reminders to guide you through this essential process.
- Make sure to do your homework on the seller. Take a look at their website and their customer reviews to make sure they are genuine. Sellers should list where they conduct business.
- Don’t just look at photos online
- Since fakes are so well done, it’s important that you don’t solely rely on photos of the Love bracelet. With your Love bangle in hand, you’ll need to have it authenticated in person. It’s getting more difficult to do this – the Cartier store no longer authenticates LOVE bracelets. Occasionally, you can catch a sales associate in a good mood and show them your purchase and receive a wink & a nod that you’ve got the real deal, but they don’t officially authenticate Love bangles anymore.
- We at Brilliance Jewels are very firm when it comes to authenticity. We do not buy or sell counterfeit goods. We guarantee 100% authenticity of all our inventory. Most of our Cartier items contain original certificates and boxes.
- Once you’re in possession of your Cartier Love bracelet, be sure to have it appraised by professions to ensure that your bracelet is authentic. If you want to check the authenticity of you Cartier Love bracelet, visit us in Downtown Miami.
- Some replicas though are very very close to the real Cartier Love bracelets; this is why it is important to have your bracelet authenticated.